Thursday, June 21, 2012

Today, We Celebrate...

One year ago, I woke up around 5:00 to Ethan having one of the worst seizures he had ever had.  
I remember the panic when he wouldn't come out of it, the 911 call, the police man that responded first who had a son that had just started having seizures so he understood my  panic (Really, God?? Thank you)
I remember the paramedics arriving and trying to get him to wake up.
I remember standing there crying and begging God not to take my son. 
I remember the ambulance leaving with my precious son and praying and sobbing as I drove behind them.  (Looking back, I probably shouldn't have driven to the hospital!!) 
I remember running into the hospital and the clerk telling  me that I would need to wait while they stabilized him. 
I remember totally losing it at this point.  
I remember the paramedic coming out and telling me that he woke up on the way and that he was fine and that I could come back and see him. (front desk lady had the wrong info)
I remember walking into his room and seeing his precious smile and him saying hi to me.  
I remember wanting to fall on my knees right there in the hospital and praising and thanking God for watching over my son.
I remember getting home later in the day and being overwhelmed by the love of our family and friends.

I remember deciding this day that trying to control Ethan's epilepsy without medicine was no longer working.
I remember being so disappointed that we would be trying anti-seizure meds.  Some of the side effects are nasty.  (The side effects we were told to watch for were extreme anger and suicidal thoughts or actions) Seemed to me we could be trading problems.
I remember the sadness when Ethan's diagnosis was changed from a form of epilepsy that he would grow out of to a form he would not grow out of. (He had to many seizures for the first diagnosis to be correct.)
I remember the feeling of being completely overwhelmed.


Today, one year later, we celebrate!!

Ethan has been seizure free for one year today!!!!!!!!!!


We are blessed...Some people try for years to find a medicine that will completely control their seizures.  The first medication we tried works great controlling his seizures.
We are blessed...We have had NO side effects.  Praise God for that!
We are blessed...Ethan is healthy.  He gets good grades.  He is super athletic.  He seems to be physically unaffected by the seizures or the medication.  He is a normal thirteen year old boy!
We are blessed...Through this trial we have felt the presence of our loving God so, so closely.
We are blessed...No matter what the future holds, we know our God is completely in control. He can continue to let Ethan remain seizure free or he could bring that trial back into our lives. Either way, We will praise Him.


Thank you, Lord, that today we can celebrate!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios